mardi 19 juillet 2016

Sapphire Blue (Precious Stone Trilogy #2) - Kerstin Gier

Goodreads summary:

Gwen’s life has been a rollercoaster since she discovered she was the Ruby, the final member of the secret time-traveling Circle of Twelve. In between searching through history for the other time-travelers and asking for a bit of their blood (gross!), she’s been trying to figure out what all the mysteries and prophecies surrounding the Circle really mean.

At least Gwen has plenty of help. Her best friend Lesley follows every lead diligently on the Internet. James the ghost teaches Gwen how to fit in at an eighteenth century party. And Xemerius, the gargoyle demon who has been following Gwen since he caught her kissing Gideon in a church, offers advice on everything. Oh, yes. And of course there is Gideon, the Diamond. One minute he’s very warm indeed; the next he’s freezing cold. Gwen’s not sure what’s going on there, but she’s pretty much destined to find out.


My review:

4/5

This is one of my favourite series, and it has been for a couple of years. It's at least my third time reading this particular book, so I feel like I've become some sort of expert on this subject - if I could be an expert in such a subject, obviously.

The first point I think is worth mentioning is the amazing narration. I've mentionned this when I was rereading the first book, but I don't the English translator does it justice. I have sadly not had the chance to read this series in its original language, because I simply don't speak it, but when I read it in French, I feel like the narration is smoother, lighter and therefore funnier. Gwyneth (or Gwendolyn in French - that's something I'll never get over, because why does the name of the main character change from one language to another?) is one of my all time favourite characters, because her internal dialogue is absolutely hilarious. This is caused by her amazing sense of humor, which can be quite dry at some moments, but also by the fact that she sees all kinds of ghosts and creatures that cannot be seen by other people, so her conversations with them are great.

My next point is definitely the characters, which are all extremely complex and well developped. Obviously, Gwyneth is fantastic, but her siblings are as well, just like her friends. Some people in her family are kind of horrible, but they're really well pictured anyways. I truly feel like they're real humans, which makes me love this story even more. Also, there's Gideon, which is absolutely swoon-worthy. Even when he's acting horribly, I can see why he's doing it, so I still love it with all my heart (and it almost hurts). He's one of my favourite love interests in books, to be honest.

This leads us to my next point, which is the romance. Oh, the romance! I absolutely love Gwyneth and Gideon together. They really haven't known each other for that long, which is a bit annoying in books, it doesn't feel like it to them, nor to me. I actually think that the whole story could have been stretched over a longer period, because it doesn't feel like the series takes place over two or three weeks (or something like that). Because it feels like they've known each other for longer than they actually have, the progression of their relationship is realistic and adorable. This book contains huge moments in their relationship, especially one that could seriously make you hate Gideon - I'm warning you so that you might hate him a little bit less, 'cause he's adorable.

Plotwise, I think this is the least interesting book in the series, because it doesn't have the interest of the first time travels. It's more or less the calm before the storm, because everything starts falling into place for the big finale (which I'm now really excited to read). I think that if we could see a bit of Lesley's perspective, it would be a lot more interesting, because she's the one doing all the research, while her best friend is lost in her Gideon contemplation - I don't even blame her, by the way. Sure, it's incredibly annoying, but Gideon does seem like the kind of guy who makes you lose all kinds of logic.


I would definitely recommend this book! However, after reading it at least four years later than the first time I read it, I think it's very clearly intended for younger audiences. That being said, it doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed by more mature readers!

17254055

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire