lundi 1 février 2016

Persuasion - Jane Austen

Goodreads summary:

Twenty-seven-year old Anne Elliot is Austen's most adult heroine. Eight years before the story proper begins, she is happily betrothed to a naval officer, Frederick Wentworth, but she precipitously breaks off the engagement when persuaded by her friend Lady Russell that such a match is unworthy. The breakup produces in Anne a deep and long-lasting regret. When later Wentworth returns from sea a rich and successful captain, he finds Anne's family on the brink of financial ruin and his own sister a tenant in Kellynch Hall, the Elliot estate. All the tension of the novel revolves around one question: Will Anne and Wentworth be reunited in their love?

Jane Austen once compared her writing to painting on a little bit of ivory, 2 inches square. Readers of Persuasion will discover that neither her skill for delicate, ironic observations on social custom, love, and marriage nor her ability to apply a sharp focus lens to English manners and morals has deserted her in her final finished work.



My review:

5/5

SO. DAMN. CUTE. It think this might be my favourite Jane Austen novel, because it's pretty much the cutest thing I've ever read.

I absolutely loved the story and the characters. All of them felt real and amazing to me, even with their mistakes and flaws. The love story is insanely good and it made me want to put both characters in front of each other and force them to kiss right from the beginning. I couldn't count how many times I got this fuzzy feeling when something cute happens because it's a slow progress and it keeps getting more and more adorable.

I loved Anne's character (which I always seem to do, since my favourite book is Anne of Green Gables) because of how mature she is. She made a mistake in the past when she rejected Frederic because of her friends and family's disagreement, but she realizes and she knows she wouldn't do the same thing if she were in the same situation now. I loved how she regrets it, but she also knows that it was the right decision. It made her heartbreak even worse, because it was the right decision to make, even though it meant the end of her happiness.

One thing I admired in this book was the loyalty. It's been years since Anne and Frederic were first engaged, yet there's something special between them after years of seperation that can't be unseen. It's the most loyal love that I have ever seen and it made me so happy and giddy to see them slowly get back on speaking terms.

Once more, Jane Austen has written an amazing love story that kept me waiting for more. I would VERY highly recommend!
               
                     
25597577

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire